From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of John Eells
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2009 8:50 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: It's Official: z/OS Now 110% Modern

Matthew Stitt wrote:
<snip>

> I actually like Lizette's solution far better than development.  Her
> solution is more functional and less specific.  I know of many that
use the
> allocation routines for dataset work without using IEFBR14 (I for
one).  All
> you need is to code JCL for a file that is not referenced in the
program.

> Actually the MIGDEL(Norecall) should be the default, since that is
what is
> wanted anyway.  As has been discussed in this group several times in
the
> past, the Recall becomes a real pain when all we wanted was for the
dataset
> to go away.
<snip>

If you like her solution better, please submit a requirement.  All the
ones I found talked specifically about IEFBR14, though, so why we did
what we did is no mystery.

We can't win on the default.  We can only pick which group of customers
to annoy:

- If we default a behavioral change we introduce a migration action.
Customers overwhelmingly tell us they hate migration actions.  "Look at
this behavioral change, see if you care, and change something if you
don't want it to happen" is a migration action.

- If we don't default the behavioral change, people who want it tell us
that "everyone" would want it to be the default.

We have historically been poor predictors of which group will be larger,

so we are "defaulting" more and more to avoiding behavioral changes that

"just happen."

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing