Glad I can help them dodge that bullet!

I don't have an answer on z/OS to LUW, but I do have a few comments...

To access DB2 on Linux from z/OS they will still be required to have the entire
DB2 for z/OS product.  So they'd end up having both DB2 for z/OS *and* DB2/LUW
(DB2 for Linux, UNIX and Windows -- the current name for what used to be called
UDB).  While we, in fact, are going this exact direction I just want to make
sure it's clear that it is required.  Now this doesn't necessarily mean they
will continue paying the same money for DB2 on z/OS.  Our hope is that usage
based pricing will bring down the cost of DB2 on z/OS, but we are not in
production yet so we do not know.  They definitely need to run the numbers by
IBM.  Anyway, the thought is that DB2 on z/OS usage will drop because it won't
actually be accessing it's own database (other than the "communications
database").  Don't know if this is a realistic expectation.

The main difference for us is that we don't currently have DB2 for z/OS in
production, so we won't really be migrating from having z/OS as the data server
to having Linux as the data server.  So we'll never really know what we would
have paid if we had databases on the z/OS side.

Good luck to them!

Frank

On 9/1/2009 at 11:50 PM, in message
<blu149-w7434f96aef9fd09003726a1...@phx.gbl>, Dave Salt <ds...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> A while ago I mentioned on this forum that a friend of mine works for a
> company that is considering a conversion from DB2 on z/OS to Oracle on
> z/Linux. I asked if anyone had any opinions on this, and Frank Swarbrick
> pointed out that Oracle Access Manager (which is the link between z/OS and
> z/Linux) has been "finalized" at version 10.2. I passed this information on
> to my friend who passed it on to his management, and as a result they are no
> longer interested in this option (many thanks to Frank for saving them going
> on a wild goose chase!).
>
> Instead, they are now toying with the idea of converting DB2 on z/OS to UDB
> on z/Linux. The primary reason to convert is to save money, but they haven't
> established how hard it would be to convert or if it would even save them any
> money. So once again I thought I'd throw the question out there and ask if
> anyone has gone through this type of conversion or has any opinions they'd be
> willing to share?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dave Salt
>
> SimpList(tm) - try it; you'll get it!
> http://www.mackinney.com/products/SIM/simplist.htm
> New: Messenger sign-in on the MSN homepage
> http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9677403

The information contained in this electronic communication and any document
attached hereto or transmitted herewith is confidential and intended for the
exclusive use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
examination, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
or any part thereof is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail
and destroy this communication.  Thank you.

--

Frank Swarbrick
Applications Architect - Mainframe Applications Development