> From: timothy.sipp...@us.ibm.com
> 1. What business goal(s) does your friend's company have?

As I understand it, their main objective for moving DB2 off z/OS onto z/Linux
would be to save money. I don't think they know at this point if it actually
would save them any money, but that's their objective. That's why my friend was
wondering if anyone else has done it, and if it did actually save anything.

> 2. What sort of applications access DB2? From where? (Some
> shape/feel/size/number/intensity sort of information would be helpful.)

I think most of their programs are written in COBOL, with perhaps a few written
in Assembler, all running on z/OS. I know they use some stored procedures, but
I don't know how many or what for. I'd guesstimate they have about 100
developers if that gives you some idea of size.

> 3. Big databases? Growing? How big?

I don't know how big, but I do know they're growing. Not be leaps and bounds,
but I'd imagine a fairly steady rate of growth.

> 4. What's the nature of the business activities supported by the
> applications and databases? Is this missile launch control, or is this
> Paris Hilton's blog? (In other words, what sort of qualities of service
> expectations and requirements are relevant here? Although Paris Hilton's
> blog probably is important....)

I think somewhere in the middle of that range; perhaps a little closer to
missile launch control than Paris Hilton's blog . I have a feeling (but I could
be wrong) that transaction speed is not a critical requirement for them. That's
probably why they were originally considering moving the databases to Oracle on
z/Linux, even though it would have meant going through an extra layer (which I
assume must add something to the overall length of each transaction)?

> I try to avoid the term "open system" since marketers have (unfortunately)
> destroyed any meaning it once had (if it did). Consider this example
> available for sale:

(some snippage)

A little off-topic, but I agree with the points you made!   :-)

Dave Salt

SimpList(tm) - try it; you'll get it!
http://www.mackinney.com/products/SIM/simplist.htm
New! Faster Messenger access on the new MSN homepage
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9677406