What is COZPROC? I don't seem to have one.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
McKown, John
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 1:06 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Backing Up Linux Volumes

One think to remember if you do a backup using a DASD oriented backup product
that runs on a different system, is that Linux aggressively caches DASD
buffers. So it is the best practice in this case to shut down the Linux system
entirely until either a "snapshot" is taken or the DASD is completely dumped.
Most Linux systems on Intel dump by running a client which sends the data from
the local Linux instance to a "backup server" which actually writes the data to
tape or another disk.

Now, being the weird and cheap person that I am. If I wanted a "disk level"
type backup, I would run COZBATCH to establish an SSH session to the Linux
system. This would then run "dd" over the IP channel back to the z/OS batch
job. I use "bzip2" to compress the data which will hopefully decrease
transmission time. The JCL would look something like:

//BZ2 EXEC PROC=COZPROC,
// COZCFGD='TSH009.COZ125.SAMPJCL(COZCFG2)',
// ARGS='powerful.linux.u...@linux.system'
//STDIN DD *
set -x
dd if=/dev/sda1 |\
bzip2 |\
todsn -b '//DD:OUTDD1'
*
//OUTDD1 DD DSN=TSH009.DD.DEV.SDA1(+1),
// UNIT=VTS2,LABEL=RETPD=10,
// DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),VOL=(,,,100),

The problem with the above is the fact that you are sending all the data over
the IP network. Now, if the z/OS system and Linux system are on the same CEC,
you can use Hipersockets which are much faster than the physical network.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell

intended
information.
distribution