We use two different levels of backup.

File-level backup/restore is done from within the linux instance. We use
Tivoli Storage Manager, but FDR/Upstream or even Bacula can be used.

Disaster Recovery backups are done with the linux instances down (logged off
not just idle). I have used native z/VM DDR command and some other
non-standard processes (pipeddr). You can also use a backup/restore like
CA's VM:Backup. We currently use ADRDSSU on z/OS to backup all of the z/VM &
Linux volumes together.

Both levels of backup are really necessary for a full implementation of
Linux under VM. For a POC, I would settle for the DR backups either native
or under z/OS. The choice there being if you have any z/VM expertise on the
project, go for the z/VM, if all of your experiences have been with z/OS,
stick with what you know.

/Tom Kern
/U.S. Dept of Energy
/301-903-2211 (Office)
/301-905-6427 (Mobile)

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 15:52:22 -0400, Lizette Koehler
<stars...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>We are planning a Linux Partition under z/VM.  I have been reading a lot of
manuals and articles.

>My question is - Do you backup the volumes for Linux from the mainframe
side - using something like FDR INSTANT?  Or is there a more preferred way
to backup Linux volumes?