Jousma, David wrote:
> Brian,
>
> You don't mention it, but I'm assuming you are a RACF shop.  If so, I
> have a password exit that allows enforcement of various password quality
> rules, like repeating characters, new pw to similar to old one, etc.  It
> is very modular, so you could take out checks your company doesn't need.
> Let me know if you are interested.
>
> Dave

for a little drift, from long ago and far away:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001d.html#51 OT Re: A beautiful morning in
AFM.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001d.html#52 OT Re: A beautiful morning in AFM.

lots of collected past posts on issues with shared-secret based
authentication
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subpubkey.html#secret

and collected past posts on 3-factor authentication paradigm
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subpubkey.html#3factor

part of the issue is that basic security principle is that unique,
hard-to-guess and impossible to remember shared secrets are required for
every unique security domain (countermeasure for cross-domain
contamination ... say like your local garage ISP login and you online
banking service). This tends to be somewhat institutional-centric with
every institution (security domain) assuming that it is the only "real"
operation where you would have a hard-to-guess and impossible to
remember password (and then multiply that times a couple dozen such
environments).

some number of recent news URLs related to the subject

Password overload is costing money
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26653
Multiple passwords creating insecurity
http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computing/news/2143054/multiple-passwords-creating