>Nowadays, if you upgrade the cpu capacity, by having ibm just apply the
>feature code to the box, does this take effect immediately on all the lpars, or
>must each lpar be ipl'd to pick up the new capacity?

When I bought a IBM 2096-Q03 (z9BC) my customer changed their mind and
decided it should be an IBM 2096-T03. So we implemented it with 3 CPs and
ran as an IBM 2096-Q03 for a few days until the procurement action
completed for the "T03" upgrade. What arrived was some "secret code" which
we entered into the processor console and magically it energized itself to an
IBM 2096-T03. Thus the engine power was divided equally amongst the 3 CPs
(going from a Q03 to T03).

Nothing changed as far as the CPU ID, etc. Non of the 3rd party products
needed to be told because we still had 3 CPs running because the CPUID did
not change and the number of CPs did not change (for those products which
are CP number sensitive). Any changes which needed to be accomplished were
strictly contractual licensing changes to account for more power. Indeed if
you want to turn the power on by adding an physcial engine to LPAR, then
some changes would be required to LPARs, etc.

By simply turning on engine power, it does mean one has to purchase another
hardware CP to do it (unless I was already sitting at a "Z03" and needed more
juice).  The increasing in processing power is the same thing which happens
for Capacity BackUp (CBU) where I can jump the IBM 2096-T03 all the way up
to an IBM 2096-Z03 for a few weeks in case my other IBM 2096 "smokes and
burns" and I need to run all the work on one IBM 2096 for some period of time
while the other one being replaced. Keep in mind CBU is not "Capacity On
Demand (COD)" and also does not kick in when there are are just maintenance
outages. CBU is for events which are one step below a Declared Disaster but
has only taken out one of the IBM 2096's.   Oh yes, also have it so the IBM
2096-O02 can jump to an IBM 2096-Z02 in the event I have to go the other
way. As a note, this is a very inexpensive Insurance Policy just in case.

jim