On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:23:05 +0000, Ted MacNEIL <eamacn...@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>>CBU is for events which are one step below a Declared Disaster but
>has only taken out one of the IBM 2096's.
>
>That's a pretty restrictive definition for CBU.
>It can/has been used for declared disasters, as well.
>That's what we used it for in a two-site GDPS.
>The back-up site had up to 5 additional engines, under CBU, in case of a
disaster at the second site.
>And, this config was set up on z/900's over 6 years ago.
>-
In my case it is indeed very restrictive and VERY CHEAP. CBU is not used at
the DR site because at the DR site (3rd party provider), I get an equivalent of
the MIPS (MSUs) which I am running at my local site.  So indeed I am
restricted to what is considered a non-DR event at the local site. A DR event
locally is one where both of the z9BC's or something like all my DASD blowup,
hey a flood in the basement, etc. In general if one z9BC "smokes bigtime" and
it can not be replaced within a reasonable amount of time, then I can invoke
CBU on the other z9BC to bring one from an IBM 2096-O02 to z02 or IBM 2096-
T03 to a z03 and all for less than $6K per year if my memory serves me.

If one can afford GDPS and your own second site, then am sure one can afford
to pay a few dollars more to invoke CBU at a DR site.

jim