On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 21:16:42 +0100, Thomas Berg wrote:

>*BUT*, we still we have the problem of backward incompatibility
>regardless of the input format...

Not if the PARM is stored in memory the same way it is today:  A fullword
parameter address with the high order bit set to 1.  That word points to a
halfword length followed by the number of bytes specified in the halfword.
The only difference is that the data could be more than 100 characters.
Well designed programs, such as the Assembler, would work fine.

--
Tom Marchant