I still don't see why there would be a problem with just PARM= behaving
just as it does now.

and having a new PARMX= (or whatever) that sets up exactly the same
thing except that the string can be up to whatever that two-byte length
field allows (I don't remember if it's supposed to be signed or unsigned
... I would guess that it's signed)?

you can use PARM= OR PARMX= on an EXEC statement but not both ...

if you leave your JCL alone for old stuff, they should still work and
not have to worry about these long PARMs.

if you change your JCL to use PARMX= then you should make sure your
program does handle a long parm string.  if YOU choose to switch to
PARMX= and it results in a problem, then it's YOUR fault.

--Stephen