On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 10:25:51 -0600, Kirk Wolf wrote:

>Re: "Use of symbols in the operand of SET is not supported." - really?
>
>This works fine:
>
>// SET PRFX=SYS1
>// SET MACLIB=&PRFX..MACLIB
>// SET AMACLIB=&PRFX..AMACLIB
>// SET LINKLIB=&PRFX..LINKLIB

Outdated information?  I clearly remember a warning in the JCL RM
that symbols were not to be used in the arguments of SET, but I can
no longer find it.  Can anyone help me here?.  It always worked,
but IBM maintains a fine distinction between "supported" and
"happens to work".

For example from elsewhere in the JCL RM:

   17.1.4.5 "z/OS V1R11.0 MVS JCL Reference"

    17.1.4.5 Relational-Expression Keywords

   The following keywords are the only keywords supported by IBM and
recommended for use
   in relational-expressions. Any other keywords, even if accepted by the
system, are not
   intended or supported keywords.

And the fact that symbols are not substituted between apostrophes in the
argument of SET is a PITA, even though it can be worked around, painstakingly.

-- gil