I like John's idea.  I think that this idea was discussed before with
the suggestion that JCL PROC/SET variables be stored in a special
ASASYMBM table.

Re: "Use of symbols in the operand of SET is not supported." - really?

This works fine:

// SET PRFX=SYS1
// SET MACLIB=&PRFX..MACLIB
// SET AMACLIB=&PRFX..AMACLIB