<listserv%200911031004341010.0...@bama.ua.edu>, Paul Gilmartin
<paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 09:33:01 -0600, McKown, John wrote:
>
>>I still say dump the request for a change to PARM length max for JCL and/or
> the PARMX=. For __NEW__ functionality, implement POSIX environment variables
> into the JCL. Perhaps using the current SET syntax! Then __NEW__ programs can
> do an getenv() type call to grab the environment variable(s) they are
> interested in. The plus of this is that others, in other threads, have wanted
> to be able to get the contents of SET variables in their programs. Again,
> this would allow that. But it would take a change to the converter/intepreter
> as well as the initiator. Another plus is that you could use this instead of
> parsing the PARM field.
>>
>>For example, instead of:
>>
>>// EXEC PGM=MYPROG,
>>// PARM='VAR1=VAL1,VAR2=VAL2,VAR7=VAL7,VAR3=VAL3'
>>
>>You could have:
>>
>>// SET VAR1=VAL1
>>// SET VAR2=VAL2
>>// SET VAR7=VAL7
>>// SET VAR3=VAL3
>>// EXEC PGM=MYPROG
>>
>>and MYPROG would simply do a getenv("VAR1") to get the value of VAR1 and so
> on. No parsing of the PARM= needed.
>>
> I'd almost support that.  And a simple wrapper program to concatenate
> variables of a distinguished format could assemble a PARM of enormous
> length and issue a CALL.  If the wrapper is not itself AC=1, there's
> no hazard of invoking authorized programs with oversized PARM.
>
> My reservation?  Use of symbols in the operand of SET is not supported.
> Damn!

I think someone in a prior posting suggested a PARM JCL statement.  I'm not
sure if this is what he meant, but how about this?

// SET MYVAL=VAL1
// PARM VAR1=&MYVAL
// PARM VAR2=VAL2
// PARM VAR7=VAL7
// PARM VAR3=VAL3
// EXEC PGM=MYPROG

SET would still function at it always has.  PARM would be a new type of
statement that would set an "environment variable", and would support the use
of symbolics.

Could we go further and allow these environment variables in some sort of
conditional checking, such as:
// IFPARM VAR1='SOMETHING' THEN
//MYDD DD DISP=SHR,DSN=MY.FILE
// ENDIF

I have no idea of the internals of how JCL is supported, so this may be way off
the beam.

Frank

--

Frank Swarbrick
Applications Architect - Mainframe Applications Development

The information contained in this electronic communication and any document
attached hereto or transmitted herewith is confidential and intended for the
exclusive use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
examination, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
or any part thereof is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail
and destroy this communication.  Thank you.