I have wanted to be able to pass long parms from JCL since the early 80's.
I've have to use inventive ways to get around that restriction. I've
listened to many people complain that 100 characters was too small.
Something like PARMX has be desired for a very long time by many people. A
solution is long over due.

The PARMX suggestion would not require any existing programs to be changed,
would not require existing JCL to be changed. Existing JCL and programs
would continue to work without any changes. You don't have to use it, if you
don't like it. PARMX would allow JCL to pass long parms more like other
existing languages.

You could create new JCL or update old JCL to invoke an existing program
using PARMX; that program may or may not be able to gracefully handle parms
greater that 100 characters. If it can, then you have a easy way to pass
that program more than 100 character parm. If it can't, don't use PARMX with
that program.

SAF could be used to control usage of PARMX for those would don't like it.

Implementing PARMS would not prevent other features like environment
variables, etc. from being implemented as well. That is about as compatible
as you can get. It seems like we are making a mountain out of mole hill, so
I'm going to submit a PARMX requirement to IBM. So IBM will decide.

Don Williams