On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 08:30:01 -0600, Martin Kline wrote:

>Let's take a poll. Suppose for the sake of argument that I had in my posession
>a set of system modifications which allowed specification of EXTPARM, which
>let you specify program parms of up to 32767 characters in length, and that
>you could obtain this modification for a small fee. Who would be interested in
>using it? Who would refuse to use it?

Depends on the value of "small".
I'd say 65535 rather than 32767.  But either is larger than practically
useful.  That would be about 5000.

>What if you could specify in your parmlib the list of programs which could be
>invoked with this parameter? Would you use it then? After all, aren't we really
>talking about a limited number of potential uses at any given site?

It would certainly be useful to have one more syntactic extension in
the PARMLIB member:

    AC=0     /* Unauthorized programs are relatively harmless.  */
    NAME=FRED
    NAME=JOE

>Take it a step further. Suppose IBM supplied this capability with the next z/OS
>release. Also suppose that you could enable or disable the functionality via a
>parmlib value as well as specify the programs that were eligible for use. Would
>you be interested then?

We'd need to take a poll at our site; I can't make that decision alone.
But I'd vote yes.  But there are tradeoffs.  If resources forced a
choice between long PARM and symbol substitution in SYSIN, I'd take
the latter.

-- gil