Several JCL improvements have been discussed.   From my reading of
these threads, I would guess that a plurality of folks might agree on
these:

1) new PARMX= keyword on EXEC PGM=
    - does the same thing as PARM=, but allows > 100 characters
    - can't have both PARM and PARMX
    - a new keyword means that the JCL coder has to intentionally use
it (and be responsible to test programs for > 100 character
compatability)
    - programs that already work > 100 don't need to be modified

2) Keep JCL and PROC variables around and use them to populate an
ASASYMBM table (separate from the system table)
    Maybe have an LE option that automatically imports these as
environment variables,
    but non-LE assembler programs could use ASASYMBM to access them.

3) Symbol substition in SYSIN; something like:
    //FOO DD DATA,SUB=YES
      INPUT OPT=&JCLVAR
    /*

IMO, *all* three of these solve important (and independent) usability
problems with JCL.
A poll on IBM-MAIN is not enough - requirements need to be submitted
to IBM via support center, SHARE, zBLC, etc.

It would be nice if there were some consensus here; but that's too
much to hope for :-)

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com