some of the older HMC's w/ Os2 came with 3270 cards
the newer ones can and do infact communicate directly w/ the op systems,
and can communicate w/ more than 1 LPAR etc
if you were to loose ip , 3270 etc connectivity to the consoles the system
will fall back to the HMC

what CPU is the HMC you are discussing w/ Os2

             "R.S."
             <r.skoru...@bremu
             LTIBANK.COM.PL>                                            To
             Sent by: IBM              IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
             Mainframe                                                  cc
             Discussion List
             <ibm-m...@bama.ua                                     Subject
             .edu>                     Re: USB on HMC running OS/2 Warp

             11/12/2009 11:02
             AM

             Please respond to
               IBM Mainframe
              Discussion List
             <ibm-m...@bama.ua
                   .edu>

Jousma, David pisze:
> I don't know of any way to do what you are trying to do with the HMC.
> There is no direct access to the operating system on the HMC, including
> command prompts etc.  So, to do something outside of the HMC app seems
> unlikely, and definitely unsupported.

No, no, and no. Read carefully: OS/2 version is meant. You do have
access to OS, you have access to command prompts, you can use facilities
other than HMC application - to mention PCOMM, ftp, Netscape, etc.

However - in fact I don't understand why should I rely on HMC as the PC
station during DR. Is it so hard to have another PC?

Last but not least: Contemporary versions of HMC are Linux based and
indeed user has no access to OS. So - why to create some scenario which
would become unusable after upgrade?

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy
XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego,
nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2009 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA (w caoci
wp
acony) wynosi 118.763.528 zotych. W zwizku z realizacj warunkowego podwy
szenia kapitau zakadowego, na podstawie uchway XXI WZ z dnia 16 marca
2008r., oraz uchway XVI NWZ z dnia 27 padziernika 2008r., moe ulec podwy
szeniu do kwoty 123.763.528 z. Akcje w podwyszonym kapitale zakadowym BRE
Banku SA bd w caoci opacone.