Doubt it very much. The execution scenarios are identical except for the steplib (resubmitted the same JCL from the held queue), and the steplib contains only application data, no MVS or other stuff. And the application program does not do any LOADS itself; everything is statically linked.

Good thought.  Keep 'em coming, because we sure can't see what this is.

At 10:51 AM 11/18/2009 -0600, you wrote:
I'd look at the S0C4 (an addressing exception) a little more closely. My first guess would be a subroutine call that is failing depending on the load library used.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of David Shein
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:25 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Reentrant Programs and Protected Storage

I grew up believing that if a program is link edited as reentrant AND
it is loaded from an authorized library, it gets loaded into
protected storage.  That is what the manual says, too.  However, that
is not what appears to be happening.

We are on z/OS 1.10.  There is a non-reentrant program which, when
executed via JCL from an authorized library, fails with a S0C4.  When
the failing program is physically copied to another library and
executed from there, it runs correctly.  This is entirely repeatable.

Has the rule changed?  Is there a "gotcha" somewhere that we are overlooking?

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. The message, together with any attachment, may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, printing, saving, copying, disclosure or distribution