David Shein wrote:
I grew up believing that if a program is link edited as reentrant AND it is loaded from an authorized library, it gets loaded into protected storage. That is what the manual says, too. However, that is not what appears to be happening.

We are on z/OS 1.10. There is a non-reentrant program which, when executed via JCL from an authorized library, fails with a S0C4. When the failing program is physically copied to another library and executed from there, it runs correctly. This is entirely repeatable.

Has the rule changed? Is there a "gotcha" somewhere that we are overlooking?

What makes you think the S0C4 is caused by the program being loaded into subpool 252?

And, since you asked about whether the rules have changed...

The system was enhanced in z/OS 1.9 to optionally protect full pages of modules linked with the REFR option. (I think the last time that option had any real meaning. DAT hadn't been invented yet! :-) )

Issue D PROG,REFRPROT to see if you have this option enabled...

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc