Keep your hair on pal. People are only trying to help.

David Elliot

zSeries Software Support

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
David Shein
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 12:04 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Reentrant Programs and Protected Storage

To keep the number of posts down, I'm going to respond to several in one.

It has ALWAYS been this way. When you link a program "RENT" you're telling
the system that the program does not modify itself. If that's not true, you
should not be surprised that things don't necessarily work out.

Right! That's the point!  The program is NOT linked "RENT" and this
is happening anyway.  Read the original post more carefully.

Is the blocksize of both libraries the same?

Yes.  6144.

What are the AC, AM, RM of the module in both libraries?

0, 31, and 24.  One module is a physical copy of the other, not a re-link.

Is the module perhaps written so that it not expecting to be run as NON-
authorized?

No.  It's a very "ordinary" PL/I application program.

>My suggestion is debug the problem like any other abend. Get a dump
>and analyze it. Find out which instruction is failing, in which
>storage (if any) its operands reside, and why the program check occurs...

That's essentially what we're doing.  However, the failure appears to
be happening in IBM code.  But only, as mentioned, when loaded from
an authorized library.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas.  We appreciate your time.