On 18 Nov 2009 07:36:35 -0800, bvandergr...@dow.com (van der Grijn,
Bart  , B) wrote:

>I'm also intrigued by how those of you that have gone tapeless address
>the traditional tape needs.
>- How do you store backups and archives in your environment? Do they go
>to virtual tape but never leave the cache?
>- Do you not send backups off-site?
>- For DR, do you rely only on a disk mirror? Does that mean you mirror
>your archives and backups as well?

I used to treat my PC the same way as I treated my mainframe, with
tape backups which I stored off-site.

Nowadays, my PC (it's now an Apple) has a local hard drive back-up,
and an off-site backup that I back up on-line.    I really should get
another local drive that is ready to boot with last Sunday's backup,
as my local hard drive has Time Machine on it, which has a different
function.

So what's so different about my PC needs and my mainframe needs? The
only real difference is when it is cost effective to have a remote
computer room ready to run when my computer room gets hit by a
meteorite.     Disks are cheap.    We've been throwing disks at our
databases instead of doing the old analyses of the past, and it is
cost effective.     Bandwidth is cheap - why ship tapes out when we
can get the backups off site virtually instantly?

Our tapes will all be gone within 2 years.