On 18 Nov 2009 08:00:13 -0800, r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl (R.S.)
wrote:

>4. Price. Someone wrote that TCO of disk is cheaper than for tape. It is
>ismply not true. Contrary opinion (tape is cheaper) is ...untrue as
>well! What is true: IT DEPENDS. The more data the cheaper tape is. There
>are many factors to consider, so there is no simple formula for that.
>Maybe that's good - there is still some room for so called consultants.
><vbg>

But we can see the trends.

Even so - if the TCO of both media continue going down as they have,
we don't care too much which is more expensive.    Just as we are no
longer storing data packed to save disk space, this decision should be
based upon saving programming time, operator time, recovery time, etc.
(Or were these costs and trends considered as part of the TCO?).