LOL - good catch. Even better, the quoted 'article' sure looked like a press
release from Stratus.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Nemo
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2009 9:08 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Check out Computer glitch to cause flight delays across U.S. - Mar
ketWatch

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:48:49 -0600, Hal Merritt wrote:

>The news item mentioned a 'NADIN' failure. A chain of Googles lead to a
document dated March, 2005: "FAA modernizing National Airspace Data
Interchange Network with Stratus ftServer systems; Stratus to provide 10-
year logistical and service support"

>"The FAA is implementing the Stratus servers, which use Intel Xeon 2.8 MHz
large cache MP processors and support the Microsoft Windows operating
system, at control centers in Atlanta and Salt Lake City.

The problem seems to me to be that they are using Xeon processors operating
in the 2.8 MHz (megahertz) speed range instead of their normal 2.8 GHz
(gigahertz) speed.  (Or else the article got it wrong -- but that can't be
since
those are "professional journalists".)

Seriously UNDERclocked processors?

intended