that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

lba...@bellatlantic.net (Alex UMX) writes:
> Well, 99.999% reliability means that 1/10000 of the time the thing is not
> reliable = about 8 hours per year.
> Not to confuse with z/VM reliability that was 99.999999  if I recall it
> correctly
> back in 1991 or so for VM/ESA 1.0.

about that period, we marketed ha/cmp for 1-800 against stratus. at the
time stratus took down system for software maintenance (would have
outage that precluded even five-nines). ha/cmp could have fall-over
between multiple servers as part of maint. strategy ... limiting outage
to few seconds. the response was that then stratus could install
multiple servers in (software fall-over) HA configuration ... to
eliminate maint.  outage window. the response was then why spend for the
hardware redundancy

as an aside their box was also being relogo'ed and marketed as the S/88.

this recent post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#85 Anyone going to Supercomputers '09 in
Portland

has some old "marketplace news" abstracts (29jun92) mentioning
remarketing branded stratus box ... the article might have a
misstatement ... the amount was what was paid for the program ... not
that much was actually sold.

as an aside ... i believe FAA has had some number of Flex-ES
installations (running mainframe software on intel platforms) ... old
post mentioning Flex-ES also available on stratus boxes
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003d.html#10 Low-end processors (again)

for random other drift ... recent posts about old Jim Gray paper that
by early 80s, majority of outages had shifted from hardware faults to
other things
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009.html#5 Is SUN going to become x86'ed ??
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009.html#39 repeat after me:  RAID != backup
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009.html#47 repeat after me:  RAID != backu

including scan of old copy of a version of presentation that I had
laying around ... and put up on the web:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/grayft84.pdf

I've mentioned before Jim and I had something of dust-up at acm sigops
in '91 about whether commodity components could be used for HA operation
... he was still at DEC and their party-line was vax/cluster. later when
he moved to m'soft ... he was up on stage for the announcement of m'soft
HA fallover product.

--
40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970