-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Alex UMX
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:34 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Check out Computer glitch to cause flight delays across
U.S. - Mar ketWatch

Well, 99.999% reliability means that 1/10000 of the time the thing is
not
reliable = about 8 hours per year.
Not to confuse with z/VM reliability that was 99.999999  if I recall it
correctly
back in 1991 or so for VM/ESA 1.0.

<SNIP>

Let me try to put this into some perspective. This is the flight plan
system. Its failure means that flight plans must be entered by FAA
personnel manually.

Let us look at ATC reliability. If ATC were to have a 99.9% reliability
at Chicago O'Hare -- 1 fatal accident per hour. 99.999 was 1 per month.
I attended an FAA presentation where they were putting the percentages
of reliability into terms that had meaning for the average person (in
that presentation, the average person was a licensed pilot).

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed are those of the poster and may not reflect those
of poster's employer --