In a 2008 thread on people using IEFBR14 to do deletes there as this:

"Indeed, how should Allocation know whether the program about to execute
wants to "do something" with the dataset(s) before deleting it/them?
Perhaps Allocation could be "educated" to issue HDELETE iff the dataset
is migrated *AND* DISP=(,DELETE) *AND* PGM=IEFBR14."

I have a set of application folks who use this method for tape datasets
(reusing the dataset names, rather than making them unique for whatever
reason), and of course no one wants to change the batch application because
of testing requirements, busy with other things, etc.

I believe HSM installs a catalog locate exit, as does ABR, to handle
the 'dynamic recall' .

Why can't the exit check for this specific set of conditions:

1. jobstep program is IEFBR14
2. At offset 0 of the location of IEFBR14 in storage, we have '1BFF07FE' :  SR
15,15 followed by BCR 15,14
3. Status is OLD or MOD
4. normal disposition AND conditional disposition are DELETE

If all of the above are met, then do the equivalent of HDELETE for the dataset

Seems to me that verifies in most cases that we're dealing with the real
IEFBR14 and not a replacement (although I grant it's possible to leave those
bytes in place by coding an IEFBR14 replacement with a different entry point,
I believe it in practice to be pretty unlikely), and that the dataset is
intended
to be deleted no matter what (both dispositions are DELETE).

The workaround for now is to try to make sure the dataset to be deleted is
either retained until the delete reference (often the next day), OR to do
HRECALLs ahead of the job.

As I said, this is probably beating a dead horse but I didn't see this specific
proposal mentioned.