If you were initiating the ftp from zLinux, it would be very simple. But the
z/OS ftp client is brain dead. Uh, that is, minimally compliant with the
required RFCs. In the off chance that anybody is interested in how to do this.

1) create a Perl script likeunto (put it in ~/bin/strip1.pl; chmod it to be
executable )

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
my $fh;
if (1 != scalar(@ARGV)) { exit(1);} #exactly 1 argument
my $ofile=pop(@ARGV);
open($fh,'>',$ofile) or exit(2); #file didn't open!
while(<>) {
          chomp;
        s/^.(.*)$/$1/; # remove first character
#         $_=substr($_,1) if length > 0 # alternate to above regexp.
        print $fh "$_\n";
}
close($fh);

in the Linux ftp client:

get remote.file |"~/bin/strip1.pl remote.file"

will read "remote.file" from the server and pipe it to ~/bin/strip1.pl. That
will then write it to the file specified: "remote.file", removing the first
character from each line.

Since you mentioned FTPS, which is encrypted during transmission, have you
considered Co:Z? It can do file transfers over an SSH channel. And it has some
pluses. In particular, you could run the following type code:

//STEP1 EXEC COZPROC,
// ARGS='u...@remote.linux'
//INFILE DD DISP=SHR,DSN=input.file
//STDIN DD *
fromdsn '//DD:INFILE' |\
cut -b 2- >file.on.linux
/*

http://dovetail.com

--
John McKown

Systems Engineer IV

IT

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell