From: Mark Zelden <mark.zel...@zurichna.com>
Subject: Re: WLM Imp1
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 1:56 PM

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:10:34 +0000, Martin Packer <martin_pac...@uk.ibm.com>
wrote:

>Further, most shops I know run with a fair amount of Importance 1.
>There're no indications they're wrong.
>
>So I'd like to understand where the "No WLM Importance 1" advice came
>from.

A well known performance expert used to recommend that.  But it wasn't
"NO" importance=1, it was that imp=1 should only be used or emergency
work and your "bread and butter" application(s).

So I understand where the recommendation comes from.   10-15 years ago
I had a lot of consulting gigs doing WLM tuning (some were conversions
to WLM).  I would say the majority of shops I went into way overused IMP=1 and
at the same time underused IMP=5.

So I happen to agree with that basic philosophy.  There is very little
IMP=1 work here.  WebSphere enclaves and the DB2 DDF period 1
enclaves that support the same core applications.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com