For our conversion from VSE to z/OS we have a "mass compile" process that runs
many compiles at the same time.  This has been fine up until when we added "DB2
compiles" in to the mix.  Now we are getting things like the following for
every second or third compile:
11.02.22 JOB05118  IEC143I
213-30,IFG0194D,EXAM02,COB,DBRMLIB,9220,DB2001,SYS3.DSN910.DBRMLIB.DATA(EXAM02)

"30
An attempt was made to open a partitioned data set (PDS) for OUTPUT,DISP=SHR.
The PDS is already open in this condition, and a DCB is already open for output
to the data set. The data set might be on the same system or on another system
that is sharing the volume. Access was not serialized before the attempt to
open the data set."

I am guessing that "job 2" is trying to add a member to
SYS3.DSN910.DBRMLIB.DATA at the same time that "job 1" is trying to do the same
thing (though a different member).

Obviously one solution is to single thread the compiles.  But I'd rather not if
I don't have to.  Any other solutions?  If I changed to DISP=OLD would this
eliminate the issue by making job 2 wait until job 1 is done with the PDS?

Why does the link-edit step seem to not have a similar issue?  Is it just that
the link-edit step completes so quickly that only one job has the PDS open at
one time?  Or does the link-edit (binder; whatever) have some special stuff
that allows it do deal with this situation?

Thanks,

Frank

--

Frank Swarbrick
Applications Architect - Mainframe Applications Development

The information contained in this electronic communication and any document
attached hereto or transmitted herewith is confidential and intended for the
exclusive use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
examination, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
or any part thereof is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail
and destroy this communication.  Thank you.