From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Frank Swarbrick
Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 1:26 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: IEC143I 213-30

For our conversion from VSE to z/OS we have a "mass compile" process
that runs many compiles at the same time.  This has been fine up until
when we added "DB2 compiles" in to the mix.  Now we are getting things
like the following for every second or third compile:
11.02.22 JOB05118  IEC143I
213-30,IFG0194D,EXAM02,COB,DBRMLIB,9220,DB2001,SYS3.DSN910.DBRMLIB.DATA(
EXAM02)

"30
An attempt was made to open a partitioned data set (PDS) for
OUTPUT,DISP=SHR. The PDS is already open in this condition, and a DCB is
already open for output to the data set. The data set might be on the
same system or on another system that is sharing the volume. Access was
not serialized before the attempt to open the data set."

I am guessing that "job 2" is trying to add a member to
SYS3.DSN910.DBRMLIB.DATA at the same time that "job 1" is trying to do
the same thing (though a different member).

Obviously one solution is to single thread the compiles.  But I'd rather
not if I don't have to.  Any other solutions?  If I changed to DISP=OLD
would this eliminate the issue by making job 2 wait until job 1 is done
with the PDS?

Why does the link-edit step seem to not have a similar issue?  Is it
just that the link-edit step completes so quickly that only one job has
the PDS open at one time?  Or does the link-edit (binder; whatever) have
some special stuff that allows it do deal with this situation?

Thanks,

Frank

--

Frank Swarbrick
Applications Architect - Mainframe Applications Development

The information contained in this electronic communication and any
document attached hereto or transmitted herewith is confidential and
intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity named above.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the
employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any examination, use,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication or any part
thereof is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication
destroy this communication.  Thank you.

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be
privileged.   It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you
receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any
manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please
reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was
misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your
assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.