On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 10:51:53 -0600, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 19:58:23 -0600, John McKown wrote:
>>CA is adopting this type of process as well with their Mainframe 2.0. I
>>was at the demo and was impressed.
>>
>I saw their demo at SHARE.  I was impressed particularly that it's
>SMP/E under-the-covers, giving the systems programmer access to all
>the facilities and artifacts of SMP/E.  I wonder whether they market
>it to support IBM and ISV products, also?  Likewise, I wonder whether
>the client interface is an off-the-shelf HTTP client, not requiring
>installation of an agent on the desktop?

CA Mainframe Software Manager is entirely resident on your z/OS system.  You
interact with it through IE or Firefox.  There is no client side software to
be installed.

CA MSM can be used to manage any z/OS software delivered through SMP/E that
follows the IBM packaging standards.  That being said, to perform the actual
install of a product (appropriately munge the MCS and RELFILEs into global,
distribution, and target zones) one needs a bunch of data that describes the
end state of the product install.  Typically this is described in JCL used
to drive SMP/E and other utilities.  For CA MSM, we've extended the OASIS
SDD standard to be able to describe the z/OS artifacts so that we can
perform a complete end to end install (for 2009) and deployment (for 2010).
 We are in the process of putting this information together to donate it
back to the standards body.  So, for today, CA MSM can only install the set
of products that we've instrumented with this new "metadata".

This doesn't prevent CA MSM from being able to manage products already
installed in the environment.  You can migrate the CSI into CA MSM and
perform ongoing maintenance to your products.  Additionally, there's nothing
that prevents you from doing "SMP/E in the raw" on CSIs that are also
managed within MSM without causing issues; as stated in previous posts, CA
MSM uses SMP/E to get the job done.

There's more information here (warning that the link also contains pointers
to marketing information):
http://www.ca.com/us/solutions/collateral.aspx?cid=208504

Scott Fagen
Chief Architect