that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

rfocht...@ync.net (Rick Fochtman) writes:
> I wouldn't mind looking back at the "good old days", but only for
> hysterical purposes. SIO/TIO/HIO are NOT areas I would care to revisit
> for any productive purpose. :-)

part of the redo of sio/tio/hio for xa (aka "811" for the nov78 date on
the documents) was the enormous pathlengths in mvs ... being able to
redrive queued i/o after completion of previous i/o.

this showed up when i redid i/o supervisor for disk engineering labs.
the disk engineering labs had tried doing development work under mvs
... but found that it was a 15min mean-time-to-failure ... even with
single testcell. i redid i/o supervisor to never fail ... so that
multiple testcells (disk development) could be exercised concurrently
... happen to mention the MVS 15min mtbf in purely internal report which
brought down the wrath of the mvs organization on me (when I 1st took
the call, i thot it was going to be about helping fix all the problems,
but it was one of those calls getting told that I wasn't allowed to even
mention such things in purely internal discussions).

in any case, i got a call one monday morning asking what did i do to the
3033 system in the disk product test lab (bldg. 15) over the weekend
... that their performance went all to pieces. turns out i did nothing
... but they had replaced a 3830 controller (for 16 3330 drives) with
brandnew 3880 controller over the weekend. diagnosing the problem turns
out that the increased pathlength in the 3880 was so long ... that the
3880 (in order to meet performance specs) was presenting operation
finished interrupt slightly early (before everything was completely
clean up). My redrive pathlength was then so short ... that I was
hitting the 3880 controller with the next queued request ... while it
was still busy finishing cleaning up the previous operation. it was then
forced to present CC=1, SM+BUSY (controller busy) to the SIO ... and
then later present CUE interrupt (and the system had to requeue the
operation and wait for the CUE). This drove up system overhead and
reduced overall system thruput (by enormous amount ... compared to 3830
which I was running at very high rate).

all of this was because I had been able to move the (stand-alone) disk
testing in bldgs. 14 & 15 ... into operating system environment ... and
since the testing only accounted for 1-2% cpu utilization ... they then
started also using the machines for lots of other stuff. misc. past
posts getting to play disk engineer in bldgs. 14&15
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#disk

the 3880 had already passed its performance/thruput acceptance tests
when this occured ... but fortunately it was still 6months before
first-customer-ship ... so there was time to do additional fiddling in
the 3880 controller.

the other issue with the SIO/TIO/HIO and asynchronous interrupt paradigm
... besides wanting to quickly being able to do device redrive as
quickly as possible (after completion of previous operation) was the
havoc that asynchronous interrupts had on cache hit ratios (high
interrupt rates could cut some cache hit rates significantly
... swithing back and forth between interrupt processing and application
programming). I was also providing highly specialized systems for HONE
(internal vm370 online system provided world-wide sales & marketing
support). Large percentage of the applications were implemented in (cms)
APL and as result were fairly processor hungry (in addition to doing
lots of I/O). At one point they had opportunity to upgrade their
loosely-coupled (single-system image) 370 operation to APs
(multiprocessor configuration with 2nd processor that didn't have any
channels). Normal 370 multiprocessor slowed the processor cycle by 10%
for part of the (multiprocessor) cross-cache interactions. So a
two-processor 370 ... started out as 1.8 times that of a single
processor (multiprocessor software overhead could cut actual thruput to
1.3-1.5 times that of single processor).  misc. past posts mentioning
multiprocessor support
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#smp

For the AP multiprocessor support, I did some slight of hand ... and was
getting better than twice the thruput of single processor ... because of
significantly improved cache hit ratio of the processor w/o channels
... which way more than compensated for reduction of cache hit ratio of
the other processor attempting to do twice as much I/O on single set of
channels. misc.  past posts mentioning online world-wide marketing &
sales support
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hone

Jan75 ... company was starting to deal with future system being failure
... and 370 wasn't going to be killed off
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#futuresys

I had continued to do 360/370 stuff all during the future system period
... I was caustic of their ability to pull stuff off and didn't drawn
into their fantasy land ... and was being asked if I could help quickly
get stuff back into the 370 product pipeline. Anyway, jan75, I got asked
if I could do something with 5-way 370-based multiprocessor that had
significant microprogramming stuff. I defined a queued interface for i/o
(a little like the later xa-stuff) ... as well as a queued interface for
multiprocessing task dispatching (a little like the later intel i432).
the 5-way got terminated before even being announced ... some past
posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submisc.html#bounce

the other way of looking at it was that it evolved into a 16-way 370
effort in its place ... which was even getting even better uptake around
the company ... until somebody let slip to the head of POK that it would
probably be decades before the favorite son operating system was able to
support 16-way (then people got invited not to appear in POK again).

--
40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970