DanD wrote:
Yes Ted, it`s a very big kluge with a very big hole.
I am waiting to see what they do to correct the issue.

For those that don`t know what the hole is...
If the job goes into allocation recovery or for whatever other reason the
DISP=(OLD,DELETE) migrated data set gets recalled prior to step termination
a ``not deleted - nn`` error will be issued and the data set will not get
deleted. I am not logged on at the moment but I believe the reason code is
14.

The kludge in this case is the hard-coded checking for PGM=IEFBR14 with the presumption that this program is always the IBM-supplied utility;a reliance on common practice rather than certainty; the establishment of (what I believe to be) a new class of restrictions for the z/OS BCP: i.e., reserved program names on the JCL EXEC card; and no mechanism for enforcement of the those restrictions.

IMHO, this is akin to various erroneous programming assumptions I've found and corrected over the years--usually coded by inexperienced programmers--such as assuming an address space is a z/OS UNIX forked procedure simply because JES control blocks contain the job name "BPXAS". To illustrate the folly of these tests, I have "canned" jobs called ASCHINT, BPXAS, SYSLOG, CATALOG, CONSOLE and others to demonstrate how poor such name-based approaches are.

Such assumptive, non-canonical, lazy programming seems to work in most cases, but can lead to failure and confusion in others. I eliminate it whenever I can. I regard such code as inelegant, yet convenient, short-cuts that work most of the time. "Kludge".

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc