John Eells wrote:
Edward Jaffe wrote:
<snip>
Such assumptive, non-canonical, lazy programming seems to work in most cases, but can lead to failure and confusion in others. I eliminate it whenever I can. I regard such code as inelegant, yet convenient, short-cuts that work most of the time. "Kludge".

So, naturally without any guarantee that we'll ever do anything...how would those of you who dislike our solution solve the problem while meeting the implied requirement for avoiding JCL changes?

Just thinking out loud here...

I wonder if a mechanism could be developed to allow allocation to predict with certainty from where PGM=program will be loaded? For those predicted to be "system provided" utilities, there could be new attributes added to some table, perhaps even the PPT, for allocation use. The first or only of these new properties could control whether to HDELETE migrated data sets for DDs with DISP=(MOD,DELETE).

This approach, or some more workable variant, is intended to generalize the system to avoid hard-coded checking for IEFBR14 and the potentially erroneous behavioral assumptions that are possible. It would also allow this new allocation attribute to be defined for other IBM-, vendor-, or user-written utilities.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Chief Technology Officer