Frank Swarbrick wrote:

>This may or may not be a weird question, but...

No. Actually a good question.

>Is there a utility where I can give it a list of dataset names and it can give
back some JCL that could have been used to define that file?  Simply an
IEFBR14 with a DD for each file where the DD has the DISP=(NEW,CATLG), the
DSN, the full DCB, the SPACE parm and whatever else could be used to
recreate the dataset if it were deleted.

See this free REXX program. (You can add the full DCB etc, by inserting lines
to trap the LISTDS output. Or you can parse out the result of a Catalog
Search Interface run.)

/* REXX *************************/

"ALLOC DA('...in..') F(INVOER) SHR REUSE"
"EXECIO * DISKR INVOER (STEM LYS. FINIS"
"FREE F(INVOER)"

"ALLOC DA('..out..') F(AFVOER) OLD REUSE"

AF.1 = "//JOB12345 JOB ( ...),CLASS=A"
AF.2 = "//STEP     EXEC PGM=IEFBR14"

AANTALLYNE = 2     /* SAME # AS ABOVE */
FIRSTIME = 'YES'

DO J = 1 TO LYS.0
   DSN = SUBSTR(LYS.J,1,44)
   IF FIRSTIME = 'YES' THEN
      DO
       JCL  = "//DATA     DD DISP=(NEW,CATLG),DSN="DSN
       FIRSTIME = 'NO'
      END
    ELSE
      JCL   = "//         DD DISP=(NEW,CATLG),DSN="DSN
   AANTALLYNE = AANTALLYNE + 1
   AF.AANTALLYNE = JCL
END
AF.0 = AANTALLYNE
"EXECIO * DISKW AFVOER (STEM AF. FINIS"
"FREE F(AFVOER)"
RETURN

Input for REXX:
X.X
SYS1.PEST.RODENT
SYS1.PEST.MICE
SYS1.PEST.HUNGRY
SYS1.PEST.EAT

Output from it:
//JOB12345 JOB ( ...),CLASS=A
//         EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
//DATA     DD DISP=(NEW,CATLG),DSN=X.X
//         DD DISP=(NEW,CATLG),DSN=SYS1.PEST.RODENT
//         DD DISP=(NEW,CATLG),DSN=SYS1.PEST.MICE
//         DD DISP=(NEW,CATLG),DSN=SYS1.PEST.HUNGRY
//         DD DISP=(NEW,CATLG),DSN=SYS1.PEST.EAT

HTH!

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht