On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 12:38:55 -0500, John Kelly wrote:

><snip>
>>Is there a utility where I can give it a list of dataset names and it can
>give back some JCL that could have been used to define that file?
></snip>
>
>The REXX  suggested is probably the easiest way, especially if you put in
>a LISTDSI. That will give you most of the parameters that you need to
>allocate a nonVSAM, catalogued DSN. If the DSN isn't around any more you
>could do something similar if you have DCOLLECT output.

There's one fly in this ointment.  Our DASD are all (mostly?)
3390.  But when I request a particular number of cylinders,
some busybody component (sometimes?) adjusts the requested number
downward by the ratio of 3380 cylinder size to 3390 cylinder size.
But reporting functions report the actual number of 3390 cylinders.

So, if I use ISPF Data Set utility to get info for a data set,
then Allocate another with the values on the screen, it's
smaller.  Every time.

The functions to create a data set and to report its characteristics
should obey the same conventions.

I'm progressively converting all my SPACE requests to bytes.

Beware.

-- gil