________________________________
From: P S <zosw...@gmail.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Thu, December 17, 2009 1:09:05 PM
Subject: Re: 360 programs on a z/10

There are some restrictions about doing so (ISAM and a few other BTAM and some
code that was device dependent (like 2314 etc)).
Just earlier this year I found a load module that was linked in 1972 and it
still worked.

The other sort of gotcha is date issues might have to be handled slightly
different (ie 4 digit years) but all in all a simple cobol/assembler/fortran
probably will still work unchanged.

All in all a darn good dependable upwardly compatible (for the most part). IBM
in my opinion has done a great service to the user community with OS - z/os.

I count 38 years (probably more) in simple code compatibility.   Now I will not
say that with IBM and *ANY* COBOL (for this and that) or Language environment,
but pretty much all areas are excellent.

Ed