On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 11:32:43 -0500, Michael Wojcik
<mwoj...@newsguy.com> wrote:

>...but here we disagree. I usually (in fact, nearly always) get
>service that I feel is worth a tip. Servers, and other people that I
>tip, are usually cheerful, friendly, and helpful. Certainly that could
>be part of the job description and reflected in salaries or fees
>(depending on how the person in question is paid); that model is used
>in many places (eg Japan) and it more or less works.
>
>But we have a tipping system here in the US, and I usually feel it's
>deserved. I do dock servers who aren't good.

I've read that in Japan, tipping wait staff is considered similar to
tipping police.     In the U.S., we tip wait staff, but we don't tip
salesmen in clothing stores, no matter how good of service we get.
After all, they get paid by their companies - as do waiters.    And
while our tip percentage is based upon service - the tip amount is
based upon how expensive the meal was.    If the cook does an
extraordinary job, we rarely tip him.