Mike,

I didn't mention Cache partitioning :-) I don't think it is appropriate for
the problem you have described so far.

I'm confused that you are saying the DB2 IO is low, when you previously
described these as "fairly active disks." If the consolidation was a folding
of whole volumes, then you need to recalculate the old cache hit rates from
the consolidated counters. Averaging the cache hit rates of the old volumes
is not valid unless the IO rates and types are similar.

If the consolidation is folding datasets from many volumes I suggest you use
the SMF Type 42 subtype 6 record to check the before and after cache hit
rates.

One random thought is to check your MSR settings in the STORCLAS if these
are SMS managed. The 3390-27 is regarded as a 3390-9, and the default MSR
used by DCME is different to a 3390-3. *** This is a wild arsed guess ***
I'm hopelessly out of date as to how DCME works with blank MSR fields
nowadays, but it's something I thought customers should be looking at when
considering volume consolidation.

Ron

Behalf Of