Howard Brazee <howard.bra...@cusys.edu> writes:
> And the IS community has to realize that any solution is flawed if it
> requires these salesmen and/or everybody who does on-line shopping to
> be experts in security.

we had been called in to consult with a small client/server startup that
wanted to do payment transactions on their server ... the startup had
also invented this technology called SSL they wanted to use. Part of the
effort was deploying something called a "payment gateway" (we
periodically claim is the original SOA) ... misc. past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#gateway

the effort is now frequently called "electronic commerce". given the
ease that crooks can harvest account numbers and use them for fraudulent
transactions ... I drew up a list of things required for commerce
servers enabled for payment transactions ... like all individuals
involved in any way needed to have FBI background checks (type required
of individuals in sensitive positions at financial institutions).  part
of this was that long term numbers claim that insiders are involved in
70% of such events.

related comments about current paradigm in threads about "naked
transactions"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subintegrity.html#payments

somewhat as the result of the work on "electronic commerce", in the
mid-90s, we were invited to participate in the x9a10 financial standard
working group which had been given the requirement to preserve the
integrity of the financial infrastructure for *ALL* retail payments. as
part of that activity there was detailed end-to-end threat &
vulnerability studies done of different kinds & modes of retail
payments.

x9a10 financial standard working group produced an payment standard that
slightly tweaked the paradigm and eliminate the threat and vulnerability
from having account numbers and/or other transaction information
revealed ... for *ALL* retail payments (point-of-sale, face-to-face,
unattended, credit, debit, internet, ACH, stored-value, aka *ALL*).
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/x959.html#x959

x9.59 financial standard didn't do anything about hiding or encrypting
the information in transactions ... but eliminated the ability of the
crooks being able to use that information for fraudulent transactions.

Now the major use of "SSL" in the world today is this earlier
"electronic commerce" work to hide account numbers and transaction
details. A side effect of x9.59 financial standard eliminates the need
for that hiding and therefor the major use of "SSL" in the world today.

--
40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970