> Why are they more secure?

On a mag-stripe card, the data is right there, unencrypted for anyone to read
and,
if they so desire, clone.

The chip is not just data; it is a processor.  All data exchanged between the
card (ie. the chip) and the terminal is encrypted.

There's obviously a lot more to it than that but, right from that basic level,
the chip is inherently more secure that the stripe.  I don't need Interac to
tell me that.

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390709/direct/01/