>Are you referring to orhpans? Or maybe your are confusing with zombies?

Not only. As somebody already pointed out there was at least one daemon that
did it (FTPD).
But, after all these years of not knowing (since I was told something erroneous
by an expert), he set me straight with the fact that it was the way it was
designed, NOT an artifact of the way UNIX System Services was implemented.

>I recall a lot more problems with zombies in the early Unix System Services
>days.

Those were a different flavour of issues.
I refused to design a WLM policy to address anomalous behavior.
-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!