On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 00:05:25 +0000, Ted MacNEIL wrote:

>>We have several batch jobs that spawn (forked) additional address spaces with
>>a number append to the jobname.
>>These jobs execute BPXBATCH or BPXBATSL.
>>Is there a way to have these jobs use the current job address space instead
>>of starting a new one?
>
>Unfortunately, NO.
>I went through the same thing, when we first implemented UNIX System Services.
>This is z/OS's (previously ESA 5.2 & OS/390) method of emulating the UNIX fork
>of a process.
>A spawn is even 'worse', since the originating address space goes away.

Nowadays, with _BPX_SHAREAS=MUST, spawn will use the parent address
space.  I strongly disagree with your statement that "the originating
address space goes away."  I regularly do:

    address SYSCALL spawn
    Child = RETVAL
    /* Do something else in parent while child runs.  */
    address SYSCALL waitpid Child

Change 'spawn' 'exec' ALL ?

-- gil