Mark Zelden wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 07:50:18 +0000, Ted MacNEIL <eamacn...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

I strongly disagree with your statement that "the originating
address space goes away."

If I've mis-used the terminology, I'm sorry.
But, there was/is a case with ESA 5.2, where there is only the
forked/spawned/whatever USS piece is the only part left, and the
originating/calling address space is no longer with us.
It's a USS process, with no apparent parrent, and caused us grief when we
were trying to 'get it right' with our WLM policy.
If it's 'fixed', all the better.
-

Are you referring to orhpans? Or maybe your are confusing with zombies? I recall a lot more problems with zombies in the early Unix System Services
days.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com

Intersting point, Mark. Can you define / distinguish the characteristics
of orphans vs. zombies?

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

  z/OS Application development made easier
    * Our classes include
       + How things work
       + Programming examples with realistic applications
       + Starter / skeleton code
       + Complete working programs
       + Useful utilities and subroutines
       + Tips and techniques

==> Ask about being added to our opt-in list:              <==
==>   * Early announcement of new courses                  <==
==>   * Early announcement of new techincal papers         <==
==>   * Early announcement of new promotions               <==