From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Walter Marguccio
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:03 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Receive e-mails on z/OS

many of our batch jobs take their input from data sent us
Hello list,

many of our batch jobs take their input from data sent us by means of e-mail
attachments.
Attachments are manually stored on PCs, uploaded to z/OS, then batch starts.
This is obviously
a manual and error prone process. Therefore I ve been asked to see if it's
possible to setup z/OS
in order to receive and handle e-mails and their attachments which will
eventually feed our batch.

Having already SMTP for outbound e-mails, I started from it and, thanks to
Steve Comstock's SMTP
saga on ibm-main, I've been able to set it up to receive e-mails. But the TSO
RECEIVE seems not
to be able to handle attachments,unless I missed something.

Before reading the many publication on this matter, I would like to ask what
would you recommend
for this goal.

SMTP or sendmail ?
Any other valid ISV alternatives ?
Any pointer to publications/Redbooks which would help ?

Your input is highly appreciated.

Walter Marguccio
z/OS Systems Programmer
BELENUS LOB Informatic GmbH