>We have done some tests and found that there is no issue to read
>and write HFS files from a CICS transactions, using the C library
>functions for reading and writing files.

I'm by far anything else than a CICS expert, but I seem to remember
that CICS transaction must not go into a wait, be it deliberately or
as the result of calling a non-CICS service. I think nowadays there
is a special queue to put transactions that do incur waits.

>As a named pipe is just another file, it should work.

A named pipe is different from a standard file in that both ends
my become blocked upon a read or write, resp. The reader if there
is insufficient data in the pipe, i.e. the reader is faster reading
from the pipe than the writer can write into it. The writer if the
pipe becomes "full", i.e. the writer is faster in writing to the pipe
than the reader can read from it.

I'm not saying that to be an inhibitor but this fact has to be taken
into account.

--
Peter Hunkeler
Credit Suisse