that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

m...@mentor-services.com (Mike Myers) writes:
> Of course, we all know that PR/SM was eventually released and I have
> always held that CMS under MVS helped pave the way for OMVS, but
> that's only conjecture.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#66 LPARs: More or Less?

oh ... we did some amount of consulting to the executive pushing posix
support into MVS ... nominally there was a business case that customers
then would naturally move much of their posix workload to MVS platform.

the issue in the early 80s was that there was a sharp decrease in the
cost of building a computer platform ... lots of mini-computer &
workstation vendors springing up all over the place based on some chip
or another. the problem was that the proprietary operating system
paradigm from the 60s & 70s ... didn't see a corresponding drop in
costs. To some extent these vendors were being forced into something
like a "portable unix" ... because of the drastically reduced costs to
get it up, running, and shipped on their hardware platform.

customers & the market then started getting caught up in this
... because it started to provide them with independence from
proprietary hardware ... a software layer that supposedly offered
relative portability across a wide-range of increasingly commoditised
hardware platforms. This was large part of motivation behind POSIX
standards activity ... further providing the market with hardware
independence (and being able to easily switch to the most cost effective
hardware platform).

Few of the people associated with the MVS posix support understood the
market drivers behind posix.

as an aside, the executive responsible for the original MVS posix
support ... was also out doing various and sundry other kinds of
activity. One involved NCAR and Mesa Archival. NCAR had hierarchical
storage system (early NAS/SAN) with 370 mainframe as controller and CKD
dasd farm all interconnected with HYPERChannel to various
supercomputers.

supercomputer would send hyperchannel message to the ibm mainframe, the
ibm mainframe would locate the data (possibly staging to disk) and load
dasd channel program into the hyperchannel device adapter ... and return
the channel program handle to the supercomputer. the supercomputer would
then directly invoke the channel program (ibm mainframe being used for
control but not for actual data flow). For a period, NCAR attempted to
spin this off as a product in an independent company Mesa Archival ...
with lots of funding by the executive also doing MVS posix support (and
we were used to periodically review/audit how they were doing; part of
it was migrating the ibm mainframe code to rs/6000 and replacing all the
CKD disks with FBA disks).

similar hyperchannel approach was done by some number of other
institutions. in the standards groups for IPI disks and HIPPI channels
... part of the standard activity was HIPPI switch support for "3rd
party" transfers (allowing the hyperchannel nas/san disk farm
implementation to be mapped to IPI&HIPPI environment; aka controller
setting up the transfer mechanics but actually occuring from/to a
different processor).

HIPPI was standardization of 100mbyte/sec cray channel ... being
championed by LANL.

The 3090 group tried to play in 100mbyte/sec HIPPI (disk arrays,
high-speed graphics, misc. other stuff) ... but the 3090 channel
interface was nowhere near fast enough. The only thing that came close
was the extended store bus ... so there was this interesting thing done
with HIPPI interface being cut into the side of the extended store
bus. Then because the only operations to extended store were synchronous
4k byte moves, I/O programming for HIPPI channel became sort of analogy
to PEEK/POKE operations (found in the PC world) using synchronous 4k
byte extended store move operations (to "reserved" extended store
addresses).

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970