that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

gahe...@gmail.com (George Henke) writes:
> "I remember it well"
>
> I did not arrive on the scene at POK (bldg #10, I think, Global Services)
> until late, and then only as an outsider consultant (only a Class "B"
> integrator, not a Class "A" developer like yourself).
>
> But I  remember the war stories I heard there, even then, of how the MVS
> group had tried to do in VM,  until top management found out somehow that
> the MVS group was quietly using  (needed) VM to test MVS.
>
> And I remember HONE, but I did not know it was driven by VM.  I remember it
> as maybe a system to pose technical questions to.
>
> And then, of course, there was PROFS, IBM's own precursor to email.  It had
> it all including an organization chart.
>
> "Those were the days"
>
> Thank you.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#58 LPARs: More or Less?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#59 LPARs: More or Less?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#60 LPARs: More or Less?

one of my hobbies was building production systems with large number of
enhancements for internal product distribution. one of the locations I
supported was HONE from cp67 thru vm370 and later days.

As relatively new hire at the science center ... one of my early
overseas trips was move of EMEA hdqtrs to Paris ... and helping to
install HONE clone. As HONE clones proliferated around the world ... I
got to do some number of the installs. misc old email mentioning HONE
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#hone

there is some ambivalence about PROFS. for instance, the core email
processing code in PROFS had been picked up a very early copy of email
application called VMSG. when VMSG author offered to the PROFS group to
provide them with a significantly enhanced version; the PROFS group
attempted to get the person fired. It was eventually all made moot
... while the PROFS group may have thot they had sanitized the code to
remove evidenice of its origins ... the VMSG author demonstrated that
every PROFS email carried his initials in the comment section of
(normally undisplayed) network control field. After that, the VMSG
source was restricted to just the author and two other people.

PROFS also picked up the online telephone book facility that Jim Gray
and I had originally done. This is old post about the celebration
at Berkeley celebrating Jim:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008i.html#50 Microsoft versus Digital Equipment
Corporation
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008i.html#51 Microsoft versus Digital Equipment
Corporation
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008p.html#27 Father Of Financial Dataprocessing

in the webcase audio file of the event ... the tandem person on one of
the panels talks about Jim doing online telephone book for the
corporation. Shortly later, I get up and talk about Jim and I had
earlier done an online telephone book at IBM.

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970