Tom Conley of the IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
wrote on 02/24/2010 10:21:07 AM:

> I have a need to zap core, but my client does not have OMEGAMON.  I
searched
> the CBT mods tape and came up empty.  What we're trying to do is a
SETPROG
> LPA,ADD, but of course, there's a vector table that needs to be updated
with
> the address of the new module.  This is not an SVC, so my only recourse
> install this without an IPL is to zap core.  Are there any freeware tools

> out there for zapping core?

MXI can zap up to 8-bytes of common storage in batch mode.

Regards,
John K

Function
  Alters up to eight bytes of common storage. This command can only be
  executed in BATCH.
Command Syntax
  ZAP address VER(hex) REP(hex)
Keywords
  address      The address of the data that you wish to change. This
address
               must reside within one of the following storage locations :
                 CSA
                 SQA
                 R/W Nucleus
                 Extended CSA
                 Extended SQA
                 Extended R/W Nucleus
  VER(hex)     The existing hexadecimal contents at the specified address.
  REP(hex)     The hexadecimal contents that are to be be used to replace
the
               contents specified in VER().
Considerations
  1. Use this command with utmost care. Incorrect or mistaken use will most
     likely cause a complete system outage.
  2. The VER() keyword is always required.
  3. The length of hexadecimal characters on the VER() and REP() keywords
must
     be equal.
  4. By default MXI will issue a WTOR asking for confirmation of the
storage
     alteration. The operator must reply with a 'Y' before the storage
     contents are changed.
  5. By default MXI is shipped with the all users denied access to the ZAP
     command and specific install actions are required to activate it.
Example
  //ZAP    EXEC PGM=MXI,PARM=BATCH
  //STEPLIB  DD DISP=SHR,DSN=your.apf.loadlib
  //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
  //SYSIN    DD *
    ZAP FDEF0 VER(00000000) REP(00000001)
  /*