________________________________
From: David Cole <dbc...@colesoft.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Wed, February 24, 2010 1:41:07 PM
Subject: Re: Need tool to zap core

It's not free, but z/XDC will do the trick. Even more, it can also zap storage
that's been made
"read only" (such as the PLPA, "read-only" sections of the nucleus, and any
other page that has been made read-only by the PGSER macro).

If your client has z/XDC, then this would be an easy way to accomplish what you
want.

Dave Cole
------SNIP--------------

A LONG time ago we had a company (hazy to the name but it might be SEI) that
had a memory zapper it was supposed to be used only in CICS regions but it grew
to wide use by quite a few people. It was probably the single most reason why
our system(s) crashed so often. We had a few "experts" that while dangerous
were almost criminal (story ends there). A few years later when the company was
just about to go out the door (thank god) some blankity blank programmer
convinced management to keep it around. Though our system crashes were reduced
they still occurred. We had a IBM PSR at the time and if found anything
remotely pointing at the product he would refuse to work on the problem anymore
(couldn't blame him really).
Fast forward 2 years and one of the divisions hire a reasonably good assembler
programmer. He got so good he was using the cross memory zapper everyday and
low and behold the crashes increased but not as bad as before.
I was really happy to get out of the place as the stand alone dumps were
stacked higher than the top of my cobicle (not a true cubicle but close enough
for my purpose.

Ed